Monday, June 9, 2014

Cat Wailing



“Your body can do what you want it to,” said Harold the ghost. His head, a bony skull, fell to the floor with a crash. “Oops,” sobbed Harold. “I can’t make it stay on. I have no words to say today. Rejections cover my walls, and my head won’t stay on. Anymore. I was a fool, to ever love you. Now you’re gone. My head won’t stay on.”
“Stop that cat wailing,” squeaked Miles the pack rat. 
“I’m not cat wailing,” replied Harold.  “I’m singing. I read this article that said music could calm the savage beast. I’m trying to focus so my head stays on.”
Miles looked at Harold with his beady little eyes.  His tail twitched nervously.  “Are you on drugs?”
Harold picked his head up from the floor, and with long fingers, he dusted it off lovingly.
“Don’t be silly, Miles. I’m just having problems keeping my head on. When it rolls around like that, it makes me dizzy.”
“I see,” Miles said.
An old blue Chevy truck pulled into the driveway, and Miles scurried up the wall to hide in his corner nook. Harold continued to sit at the table, and delicately laid his head on what was left of his shoulders.
A handsome man wearing a 49er baseball cap trudged into the cabin, an E-cigarette in his hand. “Hello, anyone home,” he said.
“Hello, you must be Rex Mayo,” Harold said, standing up and extending his hand as any gentleman would. Unfortunately, his head fell off and rolled across the floor.
Miles, in the safety of his corner nook, whispered, “He can’t see you, Harold; you’re invisible.”
Rex had a notebook and a tape measure, and he went through the cabin, checking the floors, the doors, the windows, and the fixtures. He stared at the stairs, and wanted to go up and check out the attic. However, his instructions were clear—he was not to venture beyond the first floor. Rex shrugged his shoulders, mumbling, “Won’t be an easy fix, but the cabin is solid, well built, and salvageable.”
After Harold scooped up his head, he shadowed Rex. “I like him,” Harold said, looking up at Miles. I think he’ll do a fine job.”
Miles rolled his eyes, hoping that Rex would hurry up and leave so that Miles could take a much deserved nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment