Monday, August 4, 2014

Birds of Similar Feathers




Birds of similar feathers
They ought to stick together
They could fly so high forever
Oh birds of similar feathers

Doesn’t matter if they’re blue or green
As long as they have wings
If only people could fly
But then we might run out of sky.

Oh horses, of course, run in fields
With their hooves thundering like steel
And dogs, you know, bark in tune
Usually at the moon

If only people would try
To fly, run and bark instead of buy, buy, buy
Well, maybe things would change for the better
I’ll ask everyone to sign a letter.

Miles looked up over his reading glasses, surprised to hear Harold singing in pitch and in time. Much to his delight, Miles actually liked the tune. Oh my, he said to himself, it’s happening. I’m shitfaced drunk or I’m going bonkers.
Harold ran down the stairs, holding his head on to his shoulders with one hand, and his vintage banjo in the other. Best of all, Harold had on clothes—a pair of pink checkered boxers, a pink tee shirt, pink socks, and steel toed boots. Breathless, even for a ghost, Harold stopped in front of Miles. “I have a new song,” he said.
“Yes,” Miles said. “I heard. Color me purple, but I think I like it.” Of course, Miles had started in on another bottle of fine Rum that he ordered from Amazon. It had just the right amount of color, and was as smooth as a cats nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment