Friday, August 1, 2014

Think Outside the Box



Wait until dark, mother.
You know it’s coming soon.
I’ll be starting the fire,
And gazing at the moon.

When the stars in heaven start shining
That’s where I know you’ll be
Cuz with your heart of gold, dear mother.
You’ll sit on god’s right knee.

“Well,” Harold the ghost said to Miles his furry packrat friend. “Do you like the new tune?”  Miles sighed, long and drawn out, like the sound a horse makes when it sees the horse-shoer coming.
“I don’t know, Harold,” Miles said. “I mean, it’s a catchy tune, but the lyrics lean toward sad. The juxtaposition interferes with the overall experience, and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to laugh or cry.”
“Jeez, Miles,” Harold said. “You told me I needed to work on some universal themes, to connect with my audience. And since my audience is a packrat, a housekeeper, and the heavens above, my subject matter is kind of limited.”
“Right,” Miles said, his tail tucked beneath his rather-round body. Miles worried that he had been consuming too much brie and wine. Perhaps he needed to start an exercise program, focusing on other things beside his tail. Of course, his tail, which he used to play percussion, was in excellent condition.
“I bet I could press 4 pounds with this tail,” Miles said.
“Miles,” Harold said, which sounded like the laughter of a troll, or perhaps the moaning of an angel, "could you focus on me instead of your tail."
Miles came unhinged. His jaw dropped, which made his mouth look the doorway to hell, or heaven, depending on your perspective.
“Harold, let’s begin again. I think you should write about your experience, strength, and hope, and we’ll worry about your audience later, hmm? Think outside the box. Write from the heart, Harold; write from the heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment