Monday, September 1, 2014

The Letter



Dear Chad,
Sorry to hear that you are stuck at KMC. I’ve been a bit under the weather myself; otherwise I’d come and visit you. I asked my friend, Miss Kitty, to go and see you in my place. She informs me that you are not doing well, and I am truly sorry to hear that.

Remember the time we walked on the back edge of your mother’s property? You got stuck in a mud bog, and sank up to your waist in the bog. Your uncle rescued you, and your mom took pictures of us. We looked like mud monsters. We sure had a lot of good times together, getting into all kinds of mischief.

I think my fondest memories of us are from when we were still innocent children. We rode our bikes to the creek to fish and swim, designed home made firecrackers, and stole your dad’s lucky charm—the gold coin he claimed he found when he was a kid. Course, your grandpa told us the story of how your dad stole the coin from him, so I guess we were just continuing in the family tradition.

When we traded that coin for some drugs, well, I think our luck disappeared, and we have suffered for our addictions. The drugs stole our dreams, our pride, our conscious, and eventually, turned us into monsters. Whatever we did while we were using was a manifestation of the drugs. I did a lot of things I’m not proud of, and my hope is that people will forgive me, because it was the drugs calling the shots, not me.

Chad, I want you to know that I love you, and forgive you for the things you did under the influence. What I hold on to is the memory of two rag muffin boys, a Mutt and Jeff team, running free in a field of daises, playing cowboys and Indians, smearing mud on their faces and putting feathers in their hair.

I love you bro,
Harold Siga

No comments:

Post a Comment